Soldering at Canvas Coworking Inc.
February 13 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm AEST$15
Learn to Solder – for kids!
Soldering is a process in which two or more metal items are joined together where they are heated with a soldering iron. A solder, which is a filler metal, with a relatively low melting point melts and flows into the joint, mixing with and melting a little of the items being soldered
Kids can do it too! While kids are still in their early learning capabilities, we want to guide and teach them how to do these things. From ages 5 to 17, they can now do this themselves, but of course with our help in teaching them how to do it safely.
Learning to solder is a stepping stone to future projects, such as ‘Build your own robot’ which will be coming later this year.
- peer to peer learning (making friends with the people around you and asking/offering help when required);
- emotional resilience (not everything works all the time, so we focus on asking questions and attempting to explain the problem so we can find a solution);
- self-confidence (sharing our achievements to others in attendance, whether our project worked or not, and what we learned and enjoyed today, along with what we found challenging and need some help with….note, this is not essential and those who do not wish to share are not forced to do so)
- hands-on learning (all kids are capable of doing it themselves, if we as adults get out of their way and let them try, whether it is plugging in the laptop or soldering the wires on a robot….you’ll be amazed at what they are capable of)
- practical application of learning