- This event has passed.
CoderDojo Toowoomba | Term 2, 2018
May 12 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm UTC+10
An event every week that begins at 10:00am on Saturday, repeating until June 16, 2018
In our rapidly advancing technological world, the ability to read and write code, talk about technology and understand the potential of what technology can & will do to the way we live our lives, has never been more important.
CoderDojo is an extra-curricular activity, designed to support or extend kids who are interested in learning how to create with technology, rather than just consume it. Just as you teach your kids to swim, play the piano, learn to speak french or how to ride a bike….teaching them to think logically and be comfortable with how technology works is a life-skill…it is not an attempt to define their future or limit their choices.
We offer 2 sessions of CoderDojo each Saturday during the school term. The times are scheduled in an effort to allow you to fit it in, in addition to sport, family time or other activities that you enjoy on weekends.
This is not a place to come and play games (unless you build the game yourself first). It is also not all about sitting in front of a computer screen.
- peer to peer learning (making friends with the people around you and asking/offering help when required);
- emotional resilience (not everything works all the time, so we focus on asking questions and attempting to explain the problem so we can find a solution);
- self-confidence (sharing our achievements to others in attendance, whether our project worked or not, and what we learned and enjoyed today, along with what we found challenging and need some help with….note, this is not essential and those who do not wish to share are not forced to do so)
- hands-on learning (all kids are capable of doing it themselves, if we as adults get out of their way and let them try, whether it is plugging in the laptop or soldering the wires on a robot….you’ll be amazed at what they are capable of)
- practical application of learning (understanding what the code can be used for in the outside world, such as sensors, electronics, robotics and software functions)
Volunteers & Mentors
CoderDojo is a global network of volunteer-led, independent, community based programming clubs for young people, so we are always keen to have local mentors involved either on a regular or casual basis. If you don’t feel that you have the necessary ‘skills’ to help as a mentor, we are also in need of support for the promotion and administration tasks of the club.
Coderdojo Toowoomba is on during Term 2, 2018 at Canvas Coworking
Every Saturday from 21 April to 16 June 2018
Sessions are 10am to 12pm or 1pm to 3pm
You only need to REGISTER once per term (not every week)
Please ensure that you have set up your Child as the Ninja (under your Parent profile)
What to bring:Laptop and Charger (we have a limited number of loaner laptops available, please advise if you need one), Headphones, Water Bottle, an Open Mind, Positive Attitude & a Smile!
Where: Canvas Coworking Space, Suite 1, 625 Ruthven St, Toowoomba, Qld
Who can participate: Children aged 5 – 17 years
(Parental supervision is required for children 12 and under)
Bookings are essential as seats are limited
Book via Coderdojo